Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hmmm

I've become obsessed with meeting new people. It's exciting! It's fun! It makes me think differently. I often find myself going out of my way to find a new place to get drinks or food or taking a different route home, just to get a new perspective. Then again, I've yearn for stability! I think I just want a job out here already that can keep me for a couple months. I feel like nothing is really promised for me at the moment. I could be out of work in two weeks and then be lost for work and need to hop on a plane. It would be sad considering I've worked so hard at finding work and a place to stay and friends and food and all that good stuff. I crave stability I think just so I can save the money to go traveling some more. I think I've finally started to get a feel for what I want to really do. I just need a video camera, a camera and my computer. I'll travel the world and put it out for the world to see, people need to stop being so chicken and get out and try something new! I can't believe I lived in such a bubble my whole life. It doesn't matter if you've lived in a huge Metropolitan like NYC or the smallest town in Nebraska, it's beautiful to live and feel a new culture. It's not about visiting the Eiffle Tower on your vacation, I mean live and work with the locals, get a pint a beer and find out what pisses off the dude that works at the corner deli shop or the dude at the bank or the woman that teaches. There is always a story to be told. 

Maybe the Peace Corps would be a good look for me. 
I woke up this morning wishing I came from money. How wonderful it must be to pay your bills on time and know you will eat well that night after a long days work. On the other hand, it's the lack of those things that's helped me realize how much I don't need them. 

I watched an old dude sit next to his wife on the tube. A posh sort, he rocked his argil scarf and wool peacoat. The couple read the paper as if they had an exam in an hour. I could tell they were married. Anywho, the dude got all upset because the train conductor had something other than a British accent and it was a bit difficult to hear him. "For Christ sake, can't they at least get someone to speak English!" he said out loud to his wife. His wife continued to read the paper, said something under her breathe as he continued... "They don't even dress properly. At least they could get someone that spoke English." 

I wanted to tell the dude that I spoke English perfectly fine and heard quite clearly what the train conductor announced. Or maybe I just wanted to give him a big ol' slap in the head. Wake up and smell the coffee Mr. Poshity Poshsters! People travel, listen to some other accents and maybe you can understand someone besides you and your wife. 

Hmmm, maybe Americans and Brits aren't so different after all... 

No comments: