Sunday, March 1, 2009

I guess I haven't really discussed this new job of mine in detail...

It's nothing big really, I'm a runner at a media slash advertising agency out here in Central London. 
Surprisingly, I got the job after facebook stalking the CEO of the company. The CEO is quite the man... making big bucks, making big deals and married to a pretty well known actress out here in the UK. It's wild! A dude like himself would normally give a flying hoot about who or what I was.  
I sent him a facebook message about a week after I arrived in London. Maybe it was two or three. It was around the time I started to panic about my job situation. I figured it couldn't hurt writing him. I actually tried to contact the company before I left New York City. I emailed another dude who worked there, but he never responded. At the time, I felt like it was the only way to get myself noticed with this company, so I looked up the CEO on facebook and sent him a nice little message which said... 

Hello Mr. (___)
I am a young producer from New York City. I recently moved to London and came across your company's website- (_____). I just want to compliment you and your group on an amazing website and what looks like on face value, a strong and creative media company to work for. I apologize for the informal facebook message, but I had no other way of contacting you other than a phone call and I felt facebook would be a bit easier for me to contact you personally. I am actually just looking for a freelance position or apprenticeship to get myself started out here. I have a lot of experience in multi-media production back in New York City. I not only helped produce many online media packages, but I was also a radio disc jockey as well as a presenter. I worked on many entertainment events such as the Pepsi Blue Carpet Bash and the Latin Grammy's.

If you have any room for a young woman with tons of energy and an infinite amount of ideas and passion, please contact me. If nothing else, I would like to see what you guys do so I can get a feel for the media out here.

Thanks for taking to read this!

YIKES... Thanks for taking to read this! I didn't even write properly in the message and he somehow sent me a message back about a month later saying... 

Hey, in NYC in Feb (3rd - 7th)... we are looking to open up in NYC and possibly LA this year... lets meet and have a chat. cheers. Let me know your availability and lets hook up to talk. Would be very useful for me.


I jumped on the opportunity to meet with the dude. Called him the next day. Met up that Friday. 

It happened all too quickly. I met with him and it was like, we were using each other. He wanted to meet with me to find out about New York City. I wanted to meet with him for a job... we both won. He sent my name to the Facilities Manager and about two days later, I was offered a job as a runner. 

Unfortunately, the job is really really really (really) beneath me. It's been a humbling experience making coffee for people and picking up the dry cleaning for the lazy bastards. HOWEVER! I am thankful and super freaked out at how crazy it is that I am actually working for a legit company right now in London. 

My issue right now is the job is only temporary, aka for five weeks I can get paid and also panic at the idea of not having a job in another three weeks time. It's kind of like STANDING BEHIND ROBERT LOGGIA IN AN AIRPORT. Think of how anxious I am right now, just waiting for the damn thing to finish and hoping I can get hop on another plane of opportunity. 

Despite my internal grief and panic, I am enjoying meeting new people and shmoozing with every single soul I meet at the office. I have actually made some awesome connections and my job, which started off as a mere waste of a day with silly errands grew to getting the chance to work on a commercial shoot this past Friday for this group called the Noisettes and helping out one of the producers over the weekend with another music commercial for Groove Armada. 

The shoot Friday was amazing!!! I had an awesome time.. made a lot of connections and took a lot of pictures!!! Which I will post!!!

Yay for facebook and being gutsy! 

No comments: