Sunday, February 22, 2009

Clothes drying


I really miss dryers out here. People don't use dryers like we do in America. It's becoming a bit of a pain for me. Clothes drying is the most important part of the whole process really, because despite your clean clothes, you can't wear them, unless they are dry! (okay, maybe cleaning the clothes is just as important as clothes drying, but you get my point). It's terrible, no one has a clothes dryer. I always have to hang up my clothes on a stupid drying rack and it takes a whole day to dry the damn clothes, sometimes even two depending on the heat in your room. 

Think of the luxury of seeing your favorite shirt, sitting in that pile of laundry you've put off all week and realizing you want to wear it two hours before you go out Saturday night. You pop it into the wash for a "quick 30 minute turbo" and put it straight into a drying machine, all warm and ready for you to wear in under 120 minutes. In that time, you can pre game, eat, and finish watching the Yankees game. It's beautiful. Why don't people have dryers here. It's terrible. Yes, okay, it's energy efficient, but for who? Me or the dryer?! I feel like I use way too much energy waiting around for my wash to finish, just to hang up my 5 shirts and a pair of jeans because that's all that fits in the damn washing machines here, and thats all you can fit on one drying rack. Think of the change in lifestyle I had to go through just because of the lack of dryers out here. I need to put aside at least 2 hours to do laundry. I also have to do laundry in smaller quantities, unlike my fellow Americans who I recall getting it all done on a Sunday afternoon after waking up with a bad hang over. 

It's terrible, and yes I sound very American right now, but I'm honest. I miss my tumble dryer. 

1 comment:

Mary Q Contrarie said...

I am sorry to read that you are not enjoying your clothes drying experience. I have been air drying my laundry for a couple years. It really makes a difference in how to hang clothes for air drying. Make sure that you give your clothes a healthy shake prior to hanging to seperate the fabrics and allow the air to flow.

Another thing you may want to consider is simply adding a simple floor or ceiling fan to the process or putting your rack near a sunny window. They can all speed up the drying process.