Sunday, February 1, 2009

American Football and Chili Dogs

I watched the Cardinals lose munching on what was supposed to be an All American meal- Cheese Chili Dogs! It was good fun... my flatmates had the Superbowl on and we ate like Americans and drank like Americans. It snowed a lot... i'll post the pictures tomorrow. 
It was weird to be here, watching the commentary of the game and no commercials. I miss my American commercials. They had the same 3 commercials on the whole game. A Dominoes Pizza 555 deal, some cheerleader commercial for something, and I don't remember the 3rd one, I just know it was there. 
My flatmates really enjoyed the game. I think I'm starting to get them to really appreciate American culture. I think I'm actually getting a lot of people to appreciate Americans a bit more. For those who are more oblivious, Americans are not really liked in other parts of the world. I get joked on or ridiculed pretty often for being an American still, and these are with people that I know and serve at the pub. Today however, it was my day, Superbowl Sunday, and to be honest, a lot of my British regulars at the pub asked me "Oh, who are you going for?" "Are you excited about the game tonight?" It's nice to see they care a bit and I think a bit interested in what I have to say and what I think about things here in London. 
The snow is amazing! I'm going out to make snow angels! 

1 comment:

bxbutterfly said...

Lame commercials during the Super Bowl?!? Sadness *:-(
It looks like a lot of them r on youtube (naturally): http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RPtstyP5gu8
Also here: http://www.casttv.com/superbowl-commercials
I like the Macgruber Pepsi ads, which are really SNL skits that played the night b4, and Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead, and the Budweiser Clydesdales.