Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Something new...

I bought a one way ticket to London.

I'm taking a chance. I'm expecting some difficulties. But hey, what do you think the History Channel makes all their shows about? Historical figures that don't take chances? VH1 Behind the Music is all about old famous stars who went through the abuses of drugs, alcohol and rejection. I'm not necessarily hinting that this is what I would be doing out there (unless I start hanging out with Kate Moss), however, I do think I also need a challenge in my life.


As a young women fresh out of college and a heavy addiction to media, I've realized I don't want to start my life working in New York City, with a nine to five job and renting a little studio apartment in Harlem, spending just as much a month on rent as I do now on my two bedroom apartment in the Bronx.

As a woman trying to still get her foot in the door for a job in radio/television, I would like to at least like live somewhere else, as a way to give myself a different perspective on life, help make connections and if nothing else, have an interesting story to tell the guy sitting next to me at a bar one day.

I'm scared that I will get a job in the city and never really have an opportunity to travel the way I can at this point in my life... no strings attached! The only thing I own is my car, and that's hard enough to get rid of! Imagine if I actually had a husband, a kid, a job! You can't sell those things on craigslist, I checked... although I'm sure someone will try now that I mentioned it.


No way man, I'm out.


I feel people in the media, and actually people in general, need to get a feel for something new. I assume one day I will head back to New York City, plop myself a job somewhere, and have so much more to bring to the table once I've experienced something other than America. Think of how refreshing it is to pop open a new and fresh cold can of Sprite on a hot summer day rather than just guzzling down water from the water fountain that has gum stuck to the knob. Think of all the new commercials we look forward to on Super Bowl Sunday and how awesome it is to see something else other than that stupid Optimum online guy I see all the time on television.

Change is good.


I'm out to London... or as the saying goes "across the pond" hence the name of my blogg... I haven't crossed it yet, but soon...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

experience is good..and the only way to really gain some that is worth much..is to take a chance..disregarding whether it is right or wrong. just do what makes u happy and have no regrets..or im going to punch sarina in the face lol