Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Weekend Update:

Christmas will mark two weeks since I've been in London-

To sum it all up-
I've learned how it feels to really not know what to do in a situation
Refreshed my memory on how an ice cold shower feels due to the lack of gas in your house
I will be spending Christmas with 11 Austrailans and 2 Kiwi's
that when all else fails, your plumber will somehow come to the rescue
and that things oddly work out for the best somehow...

I honestly didn't know what to do with myself today... like what AM I honestly doing with myself?
I want a job in the media so I bounce to another country with nothing...
I cant get a job
I need a visa
My closest friend besides Al is my plumber
I have no family here...
I hardly have hot water?!

I noticed I had no hot water yesterday when I attempted to wash my hair... I woke up with a head cold because I ended up washing my hair in freezing cold water (because of the lack of gas we had in our flat, and because I don't have a blow dryer to dry my hair. The one Al brought here from the states was too strong, and it blew a fuse one of the first nights we tried to use it)

I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for Facebook!
My plumber, a young lad himself, found my sarcasm and my accent to be pretty enjoyable and added Al and I as his friends on facebook. Lucky for us, I was able to write him and tell him that he did a "smashing job with the plumbing in the flat. but I especially loved the cold showers. The lack of hot water in the flat made washing my face quite enjoyable this morning!"

He was finishing up some work with the boiler when he wrote back we had no gas on in the flat. For a good 10-20 minutes, I think I grew 5 more grey hairs on my head. In london, they have two types of gas and electric, you can either get it monthly, or have a "pay as you go" plan, which is what we have in our flat. Basically its a way for our landlord to keep tabs on how much heat we use so she can charge us if we get outa hand. (like keeping the heat on full blast all day and night). Unfortunately, our lovely landlord forgot to add money to our gas card and bounced on her Christmas vacation with her phone of course turned off.) Trying not to panic, I decided to call the number on the card to see if we could add money ourselves to the card. Unfortunately, I didn't know the name the card was under. The woman on the line, then scolded me to give my information to her so that she could issue me a new card. I asked her how long it would take to get gas in the flat, she said "Three or more days because of the holiday". I really started to despise Christmas. Three or more days without heat?! A working oven?! hot water!? All I could think about was all the head colds I would be getting in the next week.

Our plumber dude though, came to pick up some of his tools, right when Al and I started to think we would be in closed doors this Christmas due to our lack of cleanliness! He then tells us, "I think you can just top it up, I'll take you to a store now if you'd like to try" I never put on a pair of heels so eagerly, Al and I were both dressed from our voyage out to the embassy. We topped up the card and out heating situation was solved. Yay to the plumber.

If nothing else, I come to appreciate things like heat and gas and having a roof over my head.
Having a place to stay, instead of living out of a suitcase, moving from hostel to hostel
Owning things, having neighbors, knowing ur surroundings

I had the supermarket guy tell me about a community organization project he's working on. The dude was preaching to the choir about inner city youth needing to leave their surroundings to explore more options with their life.
I tried to explain I knew a thing or two about that and he told me as soon as he started it up, he would love for me to help out.
I spoke to him for about 10 minutes. He even sent people to the other cash register just to finish explaining himself.
And all I went for was peas for dinner!

An Australian woman who i know threw a friend invited Al and I to spend christmas with a large group of Kiwi's and Australians.

Despite my troubles, I'm glad i came here with nothing.

No comments: