Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fran Dresser Moves to London

It never crossed my mind to apply to something like this, but I did. 
I didn't expect any response back, but I got one. 
I applied for a live-in "Au Pair" position. 

Basically, I would live with a family and help look after their kid as well as help around the house. 
My housing would be completely covered. I would have my own room with a bathroom and tv.. blah blah blah.
The pay sucks, but my expenses would be a lot lower having my housing covered. 

Ah, and here is where things get difficult. 
I decided I wasn't going to wait around for the job I thought I initially got since the dude never called me back. 
But, being a nanny was never my intention. It would be a year commitment, although I'm going to see if I can cut it down from that. I mean, this would really just buy me sometime with my visa thing. 

The pros to this are, I'm gaining a ridiculous life experience plus, the family might be a really great family and what's it going to really do me if I decide to stay for 6 months to a year? Another thing, I didn't come here for the money, I came here to leave New York and get another perspective. I'm going into media, if I am going to be anything of an influencer, I think I should engulf myself with a different and new culture don't you? 

The cons are I am going to be their slave, and I am scared that I really would be. The hours are supposed to be 30-35 a week, but I'm scared that might stretch out to more. Yikes! Maybe the family is evil? Maybe I can't stand someone in the house, maybe they can't stand me? This would be quite a culture shock for me! Maybe the little boy is the devil! AHHH

What it comes down to is, what am I doing!? 
I need to decide by tomorrow but I'm going to try and ask for an extra day to really think this one through! 
This is a really big commitment for me, and I'm just not sure what to really do about it. 

HAHA, imagine me, mary poppins?! I thought usually it was the other way around, sending a british woman to watch american kids, haha, this could get ugly. 

No comments: