Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm starting to lose my New York Accent

               
I like my accent, it makes me different and stand out.
But I definitely lose it at times.

It's been a month since I landed in London. 
To be honest, I have to pat myself on the back. 
I've been on non stop since arriving and it's only now coming together. 
It's really not easy to just pick up and leave. 
But nonetheless, I am happy. 
I'm learning.
Say I did things the "easy way" I might have taken the first job I was offered.
Which may or may not have been the best fit for me. 
I really think people that decide to just pick up and leave to a new country need to buy a 80 packet of red bull or these energy drinks because I'm exhausted! 

So far, I've made some really great friends out here. 
Our plumber homie especially. 
He's been there for Al and I every single time. 
It's amazing how you can just pop into someone's life unexpectedly and turn out to be a prominent person in their life as a whole. In the case of our homie plumber, he's not only helped Al and I with advice and food and things of that nature, but he actually calls us to hear about our progress. We are actually going to the Chelsea match this Wednesday together! 

I noticed today on the bus how weak the pound is getting. The pound, usually being one of the stronger currencies, has noticeably dropped it's value. The euro is actually almost the same in value. Anyway, you can tell how weak the pound is because all I see and hear on the bus are a bunch of Spanish speaking Europeans from Spain and a bunch of shiny jacket gucci sunglass wearing Italians. They are all over now that the pound is down. 

One of the managers at the pub (I may or may not be working at) made a comment about how lucky he was with hiring staff this year. Since the pound is down and the economy is so weak here, he's had a higher standard of people coming in looking for work. He said usually he gets a bunch of Polish and Romanian people coming in, but since the pound isn't as strong, they aren't as many looking for work. 

Isn't it amazing how people work and send money home? Imagine kind of traveling ever year to a different country where the currency is stronger in order to make a profit working. Maybe I should look into doing that to pay of my student loans. 

One thing I can't stand about being in Europe is the smell of cigarette smokers. It's everywhere. It's not as bad since they placed a ban on smoking indoors, but it's still pretty bad. 

I'm still having trouble understanding accents. 

Americans need to learn more global geography and Europeans need to stop looking at Americans as stupid for not knowing it. Unlike you Europeans, we aren't bordered by 10 different countries. 

Every European listens and loves American music. Then again, what do you expect, we have amazing music!

I can still spot an American from a mile away. We all look alike and carry ourselves the same way. I wonder if they can tell I'm American??

I'm really excited about my future in London over the next couple months! 

Also on the bus today... 
A dude threw up. He was like hiccuping, and then just kinda, threw up. It amazes me how much people drink out here. No one like goes to a bar and has one drink, people have like 10 drinks! It's Sunday and people are on the bus throwing up from drinking!? Like, dude, you have work tomorrow mate! 

FYI: We have a new flat-mate and his name is Hugo. He's Portuguese. 
I felt bad for him. He moved in earlier today. I opened the door and he introduces himself, "Hi, I'm Hugo, I am from Portugal."  I didn't know what to say really, so I told him to come in and wait in the kitchen until our landlord came to set him up in the flat. Ahh, the poor dude was just sitting in the kitchen. Like, he really listened to me and didn't move. Poor Hugo.  



No comments: