Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years... and new friends

Unlike New Yorkers who go and see the ball drop on New Years on 42nd Street, London has an amazing fireworks display right on the Thames River next to Big Ben and Parliament.(No one actually understands the ball drop thing here- and to be honest, I couldn't really explain it to them, I think I like fireworks!)




Anyway, people filled the streets and I unfortunately could not get close enough to see any fireworks, but here is how they looked on the Tele (they call the tv the tele here): LONDON FIREWORKS

It's funny because I've actually just seen the fireworks myself for the first time as I'm posting this blog and i'm relieved to say that I am not upset as I was before about the London Eye being shut down on New Years Eve. Al and I tried to take our new plumber homie up to see it, but it just happened to close down when we got there. I had no idea it's the center piece of the damn fireworks show, so yea, I'm now cool with it. 


I've been hearing a lot of people make fun of my accent. Which is kind of funny because I really have been working on being able to pick up a british accent. Not to lose mine, but to at least not stand out like a sore thumb when I don't want to. Something I can turn on and off when i'm out eating or at a store or in a cab. Here is a audio take on how much people laugh at the thought of a New Yorker saying coffee... trust me if I carried a recording device everywhere I went, I'd have a lot more of these to post...



COFFEE NEW YEAR.aif -

I love the accents here... hahaha 
Please note, every man I've spoken to here watches Sex in the City! EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

Overall, I continued to look for more work. I applied to many many jobs and I have ANOTHER interview on Saturday. Ugh lets see how this goes... Happy New Year!

No comments: